diver.net

Re: San Diego incidents Sat, June 24.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JR Gordon on June 25, 2006 at 16:23:24:

In Reply to: San Diego incidents Sat, June 24. posted by Chuck Tribolet on June 25, 2006 at 06:42:22:

I was right there on the beach when they pulled her in. A retired Fire Chief was next to me and we both ran to help her. She was not breathing and did not have a pulse at that time. Shortly thereafter paramedics arrived and started CPR including bagging her and pumping her heart. Her husband was there along with what I now assume to be their divemaster and the couple who helped bring her in with their kayak. No one was paying any attention to her equipment so I verifyed which rig was hers and without touching, looked it over while it was lying in the sand. All I could see was that there was 2,000lbs. showing on her SPG. I really wanted to purge the regs and check her computer but I know better. I informed a senior life guard which rig was hers and suggested he isolate it without touching the valves, etc. He looked at me like I was nuts.....

FWIW, they were both quite large and out of shape. The husband was probably around 300lbs., she was probably in excess of 200. They looked to be in their 50's to me....

When we walked back to our group the Fire Chief, who was in the middle treating her with the paramedics for 15 minutes, said she had no vitals when they transported her. He mentioned several different tests and that she didn't respond to any of them. Remarkably the local news reported she survived though I seriously doubt it. We'll probably see a correction in the next few days.....

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to