diver.net

Re: IMHO - A few thoughts for the dive community to consider Continued...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 28, 2006 at 03:35:18:

In Reply to: IMHO - A few thoughts for the dive community to consider Continued... posted by S Troy Bagwell on June 27, 2006 at 22:41:55:

Troy, you've known Mike for longer than most people. You should know that while he now comes off as promoting diver safety, his main purpose for posting on Diver.net is to promote MHK and nothing more. None of the people who replied negatively did so in any way against safer diving. We all know his history on this board. He sees a chance to put down anyone who disagreed with him in the past and takes it. When some fight back, he plays the victim in much the same way he accuses Ken Kurtis of doing. Kane is just better at it.
When I post dive reports, I appreciate the kind words I get from fellow divers, but that is not why I do it. I write dive reports for one reason only. I want to show others what great diving we have available to us in our own back yard. Can you imagin a scuba bbs with nothing but a bunch of JohnB types? There would be no diving along our shoreline. Instead, people would believe that only offshore sites and Mexico are the only diving available to us on the West Coast. We have some fantastic dive sites withing a few feet of the rocks/sand and I want others to enjoy it as much as I do. If some feel that it is their duty to show us the way and the light by telling us we're "doing it wrong", so be it. They have a right to their opinions. When it becomes a broken record though, it gets old very fast. If all we cared about was optimum safety in every aspect of our lives, none of us would be diving in the first place. Nobody would drive motorcycles, economy cars or Jaguar convertibles. We'd all drive Volvo station wagons and sit at home watching others dive on the Discovery Channel.
I will continue to write reports and encourage others to do so without fear of anyone denigrating them. If all they have in their lives is hatred and the need to put others down, that is their problem, not mine.
The dive buddies I haverange from newbies to old farts. Some dive Hogarthian gear configurations, some use regs built when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Some have only taken OW1 while others have taken Kane's Fundies and resort course. It doesn't matter to me. I dive for one reason. Fun.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to