diver.net

Re: Why I love to dive

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on June 30, 2006 at 18:25:24:

In Reply to: Why I love to dive posted by kathryn on June 30, 2006 at 17:52:47:

My passion for diving extends beyond obsession. Diving is an escape. A brief moment to stop time from moving forward. To float among the other inhabitants of our planet as an observer is unequaled in any other part of my life. My objective on most dives is to be invisible. I enjoy watching the animals whose world I have invaded carry on with their lives as if there was nobody blowing bubbles in their direction. I have been more fortunate than most to have experienced the joy and serenity of sea lions laying on either side of me, mimicking me as if they were the ones who thought of the idea. To gain the trust of an octopus and have it come out of its den to inspect the large intruder or to pet a lobster without it scurrying away are aspects of my diving that I cherish. I have also been blessed with a number of dive buddies with similar interests. Most of my dive buddies have become friends for life, some even more.

Watching a structure, whether natural or manmade appear out of the gloom as I descend upon it still thrills me as much as it did the first time. Shipwrecks, rockpiles and artificial reefs are oases in a desert of liquid. The amount and diversity of life found on an offshore site in Southern California rivals any tropical reef.

I have witnessed Blue Whales turn on their side to look up at me and the largest animal on Earth is no more of a thrill to me than watching a nudibranch slide across a reef.

The diversity of life abounds on the healthier reefs at sites such as my favorite, Marineland in Rancho Palos Verdes. Fish, crabs, nudis, filter feeders and octopus can be found for those willing to take the time to slow down and take it all in.

When conditions are optimal, the only thing that brings me down is that I can't get ten hours out of a tank. When the vis is low, I seek out the macro and the micro. There is always something to see underwater. The only thing that comes close to the love I find while neutrally buoyant is sharing it with others. That, after all is the point of my dive reports. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of viewing these brief visits as I did creating them.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to