diver.net

Farnsworth Banks Photos & report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scottfiji on July 05, 2006 at 18:49:30:

What a great day at Farnsworth! We went on Monday, July 3rd.

5 buddy teams (10 people) made it. 1 person was sick and couldn't come, and 1 person overslept. I should have had "hot" standbys ready to come!

We did 2 dives at Farnsworth, 1 at Johnson's rock. Farnsworth was a nice site, the top of the pinnacle is at 60ft, but most of the diving is deeper than 85ft. everyone dove nitrox. sightings at farnsworth included a torpedo ray, several lingcod, lots of jellies and comb jellies, a salp, and large schools of blacksmith/senorita. Vis ranged from 20 to 50ft.

Sean Dyer took this photo of me following the Torpedo ray. I'm not sure if I was taking video or a photograph at this point. He was underneath me at the bottom of the wall.

Torpedo Ray, the entire body

Torpedo ray, don't touch! Ouch!

This torpedo ray was actively foraging along the wall, looking for food. Good thing he didn't want me!

The boat anchored at around 110ft along a wall. the anchor chain actaully drooped down a little deepr. you had to follow the anchor chain to find the pinnacle, because it was so deep and we were on nitrox 2 buddy teams actually never found the pinnacle on the 1st dive. They sure found it the 2nd time! They had a long swim back to the boat due to currents, and their own meandering.

Hydrocoral and Bat Star. It was nice to see so much hydrocoral at all depths! La bufadora had small amounts in comparison.

Comb Jelly (Leucothea pulchra). We saw lots of comb jellies floating around.

Lingcod on Hydrocoral

Hydrocoral, zooanthids, Gorgonian

Bat star crawling over a scorpionfish. This completely shocked me what I saw it, I guess the scorpionfish figures its better camoflauge!

Juvie treefish, among other sundry items

Senoritas

Lingcod

The famous "undescribed" starfish

Painted greenling among the Hydrocoral

Calico Rockfish, (maybe). I saw a few more rockfish, but as many as I had hoped for.

Hydrocoral and bryozoans

Male Sheephead

Sea Lion at Johnson's Rock

Mirek trying to hide in the kelp

We took the sea bass out of san pedro. The food, fills, and crew were all good. The compressor shut down for a few minutes on the way to farnsworth, but luckily the captain got it started back up. We used up all the oxygen he had on board.

Max, Sean, Dana, Debbie, Andy

Dana, Debbie, Melin

scott, Angelique, Nick

Mirek and Andy

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full