diver.net

Old Marineland - 2 dives, report & photos

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scottfiji on July 08, 2006 at 10:23:16:

Penny and I did 2 dives at Marineland yesterday. We were going to go to malibu, but Phils report let us to change our plans. (Thanks Phil!). It was a beautiful day, sun was out, water was very calm. For the first dive we entered at the point and dropped down to 20ft depth. The water was clear and warm (64 degrees).

As we descended down to 50ft, visibility quickly went down dramatically, due to a plankton bloom. I'd say vis was best above 25ft.

4 Porter's Chromodorids, we found these at 50ft.

we decided to swim back to the cove, to avoid an exit at the point. on the way back we saw 2 swell shark eggs, and several sea hares.

Swell Shark Egg

For the 2nd dive, we decided to try the cove ("180 reef"). I've only done a couple of dives here, and never thought much of it. We entered at the cove, quickly descended into 14ft of water, and took a 330 degree heading.

Amored Sand Star, we saw several of these on the way to the reef.

well, the 180 reef pleasantly surprised me! I thought it was beautiful, with lots of fish, and large gorgonians.

Cabezon (that's me!). We saw 2 cabezon on the reef.

Gorgonians

We followed the reef out to 45ft depth. My favorite part of the reef was at 45ft, with several olive rockfish, a few rainbow sea perch, gorgonians and tube anemones all mixed together.

Olive Rockfish

I have new respect for the 180 reef now. Vis was pretty good, although the plankton bloom gave the water a greenish tinge. Two great dives in pretty good conditions (especially in shallow water). - Scott

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to