diver.net

Mike, you don't get it do you?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on July 11, 2006 at 10:31:53:

In Reply to: Re: Trip Report and Photos - Sea Divers at Osborne Bank on the Great Escape 6/17/06 posted by MHK on July 10, 2006 at 19:36:02:

It was not "deco diving" - no part of my dive was a "deco dive" any more than every dive anyone makes is a "deco dive". The main differences between this Osborne dive and one at a location such as Ship Rock were a) location, and b) needing to use an anchor line to descend and to return to the surface. The site that Captain Tim picked at Osborne was 125 feet deep, and I find that depth listed on every recreational dive table that I own. If you have ever been there, as you claim to have been, your previous accusation that there is no where to dive at Osborne less than 150 feet indicates to me that the trip you were on must have been looking for only for deeper water and not for the shallower sites that do exist - we don't know what your purpose was because you never posted a trip report on your mythical experience.

I value my ability to think through my dives and to pick and choose what will make my dives a successful experience for me. I find a "one approach only" method is not always appropriate and I utilize a mix of my own knowledge pick and choose what I feel comfortable with to be the safest way for me.

The feelings that I find in myself evoked by you are ones of humility - I am a very simple diver and normally a quiet person. I specifically tune out those who I feel are applying pressure to do things that I am not comfortable with. I have found the biggest perils and pitfals to occur in my life underwater to occur when I let peer pressure make my decisions and not my rational brain. I learn as much as I can from a variety of sources and then use my brain to evaluate the information and to make my choices. When I look for those to gain more knowledge from, the first choice that I make is always based on weather or not I feel that person demonstrates a respect for me and for other people. I feel those who embrace humility over ego are usually the ones with the most wisdom, experience, and knowledge.

There are so many nice people in the diving community. There are fantastic instructors available for all levels and interests in SCUBA - some of them are so quiet it is hard to find them. My interest is photography - it is why I dive - my humble photo results may not always show it, but I have learned from some of the oldest and the best.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to