diver.net

What people do right

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on July 11, 2006 at 19:41:09:

In Reply to: RE: Security , insecurity, and respect for others posted by Kevrumbo on July 11, 2006 at 18:43:24:

Sometimes what looking at what people do right is just as important as looking at what they do wrong. In this instance MHK is a Monday morning quarterback focusing on the negatives of what was a successful dive experience. It wasn't done his way and under his control therefore - it must be dangerous.

MHK doesn't pick a routine dive during lobster season to quarterback - that might make him unpopular.

There is so much more to a dive than the few threads that he tries to grasp. I resent someone assuming that I'm stupid. I've heard MHK preach on the importance of using your brain - but when someone uses theirs he comes across as feeling very threatened.

Part of diving is about relationships. Relationships are give and take. Good relationships are based on mutual respect. Quality relationships require a lot of hard work, above water and below. When a situation has equally good available options, I choose instructors who allow me to think through alternatives and to pick the solutions that work for me. I have learned from cave divers, from wreck divers, from hunters, from technically oriented divers, and, sometimes even from a comment from a deck hand. For me learning is a fluid and continuing process and it will always be more than what one person, or one philosophy has to offer.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to