diver.net

Cough

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Ambrosini on July 19, 2006 at 18:25:38:

I was SCUBA diving for a about two years, 20 years sgo. For about the last 15 years I have had an incredible persistant cough and wonder if there is a connection.

I specifically recall a short dive when the regulator seemed to be acting up. Stupidly, on many levels I did not immediatly address it. WHen I exhaled it seemed difficult and when I inhaled it was exceptionally easy. As a result, I was taking in breaths that were much more deep that usual. I did not hyperventilate but that night I could not sleep due to intense lung pain and coughing uncontrollably. A day or two later I seemed to be ok and thought nothing more of it. I don't believe that I ever did any diving again (for other reasons).

Today, and for the last 15 years or so, I cough many times a day. A single, sometimes double, cough every 10 minutes or so. IT gets so intense sometimes that I almost fainy. It is like a cough that one gets when taking a deep breath of vinegar.

Might the cough be linked with the diving incident? I wonder if anyone else has hurd of this, can it be cured?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to