diver.net

Re: What service merits a tip?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Rothaus on July 28, 2006 at 18:58:24:

In Reply to: What service merits a tip? posted by Ken Kurtis on July 28, 2006 at 16:22:03:

I'm on the Vision often and think highly of their crews. I'm up very early to see the sunrise and they're up before me after working late into the night. They are scrubbing the heads and floors so that when people wake everything is not just straightened up, it's sanitary. Coffee is usually ready for even the earliest risers. They'll make you whatever you want and keep it hot while you dive. The Captain is hunting for the best conditions he can find. They double and triple check the head count before leaving any spot and it seems like they have to see the whites of your eyes before they are convinced you're on board. They have virtually no days off during the summer and they are very safety conscious; especially at night. (They've got their game face on during night dives...). I've seen them spring into action to help distressed divers. It all seems pretty relaxing to us but they know they have 30-something souls on board that they're responsible for. They are keenly aware of that.

I'm not trying to plug the Vision because I bet there are lots of boats out there like this. To me, all that stuff I talked about is tip-worthy. But, I know for a fact people will leave the boat without tipping. They see the jar, they had a great time, but no one will know so why not just leave. Then, they jump in their Range Rovers and drive home. It's a crappy thing to do to not tip these people a minimum of $10 a day unless you think they really sucked (but they don't and we know it). I always tip about $15 and feel bad I didn't do $20. That's not a big deal to anyone that can afford to dive and if everyone did it then the crews could do alright. I'm sure most people on this board tip. But, if you don't or sometimes forget, please think about it and do the right thing. Hit the versatel, bring a couple of $20s, and show appreciation for the hard work these folks do so you can have a fun, safe, memorable trip. And if all that didn't convince you, remember: Karma people, karma...

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to