diver.net

Trip Report and Photos - Hawthornes, Pilings, Whites Point, & The Black Pearl

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on August 05, 2006 at 17:18:27:

Trip Report and Photos

Diving with Ross O. - 07/30/06

"Hawthornes Reef", Pilings, Whites Point

Story and Photos ©Elaine Jobin, may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission.

Hawthornes Reef

On Sunday, July 30, 2006 Ross O. took Brian, Claudia, and myself out on the Orion for a day of coastal diving. Our first stop was at the offshore reef that Ross calls Hawthornes. The surface chap at the site made the boat rock a lot, but the visibility underwater was about 30 feet. I love the color and the diversity of invertebrate life at Hawthrones. The reef almost looks tropical.

Hawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine JobinHawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine Jobin Hawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine JobinHawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine JobinHawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine JobinHawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine JobinHawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine JobinHawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine JobinHawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine JobinHawthornes Reef, Photo by Elaine Jobin

After the dive we returned to the dock. The chop was making Brian too sea sick to enjoy a full day of diving. Well, it was sure good to see you guys, even if it was just for a little while!

The Pilings

Ross and I headed back out to get in some more bottom time. We went to the site where we had seen the small school of Molas on a previous visit. It is an artificial reef comprised of several old pilings of some sort. It is a great habitat for invertebrate life and some Vermilion Rockfish. Visibility at "The Pilings" was awesome for the first 30 feet, but the deeper that we went, the worse it became. At the bottom we could only see 10 feet of so.

The Pilings, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Pilings, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Pilings, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Pilings, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Pilings, Photo by Elaine Jobin

On our safety stop, there was a baby yellowtail taking refuge under the boat. Visibility was so excellent at 20 feet it was easy to just hang and look out into the open blue water. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw something very large just at the edge of how far I could see. It seemed to be making a dive. It is rare that I get spooked on a dive but this was one of those times. I looked down into the water that tuned a cloudy shade of white underneath us and all I could think of was "what great counter shading" - I tightened my mouth grip on my regulator and prayed for the safety stop time to pass quickly.

Whites Point

Because of the excellent offshore visibility, we made our last stop at Whites Point. Whites point is known for the shallow water hydrothermal vents in the cove.

Underwater Hydrothermal Vent at Whites Point California, Photo by Elaine Jobin

We anchored a distance off shore and did an underwater swim into the cove. I was hoping that we would find one of the larger ones as in the photo above, but we only found some of the smaller ones. It is hard to photograph into the vents because of the surrounding thermocline.

Close up of a hydrothermal vent at Whites Point, Photo by Elaine Jobin

The "white stuff" is a Sulfur-Oxidizing Bacteria that is prevalant on the rocks, plants, and sometimes the fish around the hydrothermal vents.

Sulfur-Oxidizing Bacteria on a Plant near a hydrothermal vent at Whites Point, Photo by Elaine JobinSulfur-Oxidizing Backteria on rocks near a hydrothermal vent at Whites Point California, Photo by Elaine Jobin Sulfur-Oxidizing Backteria on rocks near a hydrothermal vent at Whites Point California, Photo by Elaine Jobin

We also noticed that the beach and surrounding rocks were very crowded on this hot weekend. In the cove there was a lot of trash.

The Black Pearl

On the way home we went by The Black Pearl - the black sailed "Priate Ship" used in the Pirates of the Carribean - Curse of the Black Pearl. It is at dock in San Pedro. Difficult to get near by land, it is much easier to view by boat. These are some of my "Pirate Ship" photos.

The Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine Jobin The Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Black Pearl Pirates of the Carribean Pirate Ship in San Pedro, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Another fun day of diving was over. Until next time........

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to