diver.net

Re: What service merits a tip?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SC on August 09, 2006 at 16:24:22:

In Reply to: What service merits a tip? posted by Ken Kurtis on July 28, 2006 at 16:22:03:

I think one of the biggest things that earns a tip from me is attitude- if I go on a boat where the captain or the crew is being a dick, then I definitely don't feel obligated to tip them.

All too often I hear the crew members protesting that tips are the way they make their money, and that they depend on them. I really don't care if the crew is paid some scant wage and relies upon tips to make their pay- they had better EARN it and not expect it as automatic entitlement

Same goes for waiters at a restaurant- if they do a substandard or merely passing job, they shouldn't expect much- or possibly ANY- of a tip.

I think the big peeve I have with some boat crews is that they often seem to have some macho attitude and apparent irritation with the passengers (at least in my experience, about half the time)- and I think they forget they are talking to their CUSTOMERS.

I think most divers dive because it's their recreation, and they're coming onto a boat to have a good time.I know that the boat cannot ensure that a customer has a good time, and that things like the conditions of the sea are certainly beyond their control, but they should at least be friendly and courteous and helpful towards the divers who they expect to be tipped by. If they're going to sneer and be condescending, they shouldn't expect to get tipped. Simple as that.

If divers don't have fun on the boat, in part because of the crew, why should they reward that behavior?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to