diver.net

photos from redondo / leo carillo

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scottfiji on August 12, 2006 at 11:51:39:

photos from 3 dives over the last week and a half. nice conditions out there!

Penny, cesar, and I had two nice dives at Redondo a week ago. Small waves, very warm above 30ft, 54 degrees past 70ft. decent vis, except past 80ft, then it was bad. Saw lots of different species, not overwhelming quantity but good quality.

yes, that is the mouth of the Sarcastic Fringehead, it got hooked on its shell. It was really hungry, and tried to bite off more than it can chew.

This is the same Fringehead. With a little prodding he got his mouth back, and was eating shrimp again. He opens his mouth very fast to eat, for a fraction of a second. I was lucky with this shot. You can see inside his mouth!

Well, now I see where the Red octopus got its name. No color correction on this photo!

Going down? That's what this rare snake eel said to me before descending down into his long hole. After taking this shot I peered down and could see him looking up at me from a safe distance into the hole.

Target shrimp, they look quite spectacular up close. Notice the eyes and hairy antennae.

This large octopus had captured quite a large crab, and was hauling it across the sand. You can see the large crab under the arms of the octo. The ocotopus was hauling it a long distance, and looked quite funny trying to transport its large meal. It had to walk on the end of its tentacles.

Red Lobster anyone? A few of these lobsters were puddering around in the shallows, not expecting any divers obviously.

A few baby horn sharks were out and about.

Brown Rockfish, standing guard at the Monument. "Hey, this is my house!"

Octo-in-a-jar

We had great vis at redondo thursday night, no waves, and cold water (54-55).

Baby kelpfish in the kelp

3-fish combo. Scorpionfish laying on CO-Sole, who is laying on another CO-Sole. We found the 3 fish laying quietly like that.

Fringehead in the open. we found several fringehead out and about.

California Stingray

nice dive at Sequit Point (leo carillo, malibu). 20ft vis, up to 30ft in some points. best diving was between 10 and 20ft depth. no garibaldi, sheephead, or rockfish though. lots of nice schools of fish, beautiful tall kelp. lots of Doriopsilla albopunctata out and spanish shawl. 75 minutes on an Al-80. penny still had lots of air left. temp 63 degrees.

School of Rainbow SeaPerch

Doriopsilla albopunctata Nudibranch

Facelina stearnsi Nudibranch

Octopus, in a crevice

Crevice Kelpfish, 12ft depth. isn't he quite well camoflauged??

School of Walleye Surfperch. We were able to swim into the school, how cool!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to