diver.net

Texas Friends Hook Shark Off Santa Monica Waters

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on August 20, 2006 at 00:41:25:

In Reply to: 10FT, 750LB Mako caught in Santa Monica bay posted by Ross-O on August 19, 2006 at 22:18:58:

SANTA MONICA, Calif. A group of friends from Texas out to catch some big fish got the surprise of their lives.

Chip Wagner and four friends from Texas hooked a 758-pound shark Friday, after 15 hours of catching smaller fish and letting them go.

The friends, who originally hoped to score some blue marlin, hooked the mako shark 30 miles off the coast of Santa Monica.

A home video of the encounter showed at least two of the taken-aback fishermen struggling with the man-eating shark.

A voice on the video could be heard shouting, "Dude, he's huge!"

One of Wagner's friends, Matt Craine, was still amazed that he helped catch such a large and deadly fish.

"When you hook onto something that big, you know, its just about to kill you or you're gonna drag it in," Craine said.

It apparently took the fishermen three hours to reel in the shark.

"I still kinda got the shakes from it," Wagner said. "It was great. I wish I could bottle it up and sell it."

Mako shark can get as big as 13 feet in length. The biggest shark caught off the coast of California weighed in at 1,000 pounds. But that doesn't scare Craine.

"We'll be back next year," Craine promised. "We're hooked. No pun intended."

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.