diver.net

I love mine....most of the time

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on August 22, 2006 at 13:34:21:

In Reply to: Dive Tracker Scout System posted by Dawn on August 22, 2006 at 13:20:41:

I am very happy with mine. I tend to follow the photo ops and don't always pay enough attention to where I have wandered. It has gotten me back to the boat many times. I upgraded from the scout to the more powerful Sport model because I needed the longer range.

Some of the things I've found that I need to keep in mind are:

It is an electrical device and as such it will always eventually fail - the batteries will die, the unit can flood, etc.. Keep the compas handy as a back up and continue to use it also.

The unit receiver needs a direct line of sight of the boat to pick up the signal. Things that can block the signal are thick kelp, current that causes the transmitter to rise along the side of the boat, tall reefs and steep walls. 90% of the time these won't be problems, but sometimes they will be an issue.

The magnet that they send with it isn't always strong enough to turn it on. I had to get a different magnet.

The on off switch will eventually break. Getting in touch with the repair departement isn't always easy, but once you get in contact with them they do quick repairs.

Learn that it doesn't lie. There has been a time or two when I have been sure that the boat was to the right and the device said the boat was to the left. In that instance - the device is right - listen to it.

I think that you will be happy with your new toy.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to