diver.net

concept of minimal impact

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on August 28, 2006 at 14:24:46:

In Reply to: Re: I didn't see anyone harming the hydrocoral posted by Chuck Tribolet on August 28, 2006 at 12:31:35:

Southern California isn't a "no touch" zone. There is a concept of "minimal impact" - if you are going to sit/lay/touch that you try and do it in a manner that it is least harmful to anything. The area of Farnsworth that we visited was not a particularly lush habitat. If you needed to pick a spot for minimal impact/contact - there was a lot to choose from.

In referencing other areas of the world where current and surge are an issue it is widely acceptable to practice "minimal impact". Next time I'll photography their bottom sides to show what they were laying on.

In an ideal world it is probably best to hover with no impact. it isn't always possible however. I would much rather see minimal impact contact than someone banging around trying to meet imposible standards in a surgy situation. Much safer for the diver and the environment.

Too bad Dwill never posts a photo or a trip report. He is always perfect with no proof.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to