diver.net

Re: Re: concept of minimal impact

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on August 28, 2006 at 17:11:33:

In Reply to: Re: concept of minimal impact posted by Dwill on August 28, 2006 at 14:39:06:

Yes Doug, there are places in the world that support the concept of minimal impact. I don't see the hydrocoral under his arm.

California is a little different than other places in the world. We have anchorage, not mooring. Spear fishing, scallop hunting, lobster hunting etc. are permitted. We dive in unsheltered conditions often open to the elements - especially on Sea Diver Tips - not quiet protected lagoons or coves. California is not like most other dive destinations. We have a lot of rocks and not the traditional reefs. Over time you learn what is supporting life, and what is a bare rock with possibly a small amount of algae growth. There is a huge diversity of divers here with many different interests. The photogs can have a "I'm styling better than you" contest all they want, but there is still going to be the guy on your left with the scallop knife cutting the scallops off the rocks and the lobster hunter plowing across the sand and into the rocks on your right. Catalina is a boat parking lot in the summer with more anchors dropping than you can sometimes think imaginable. Intelligent photogs who practice minimal contact really don't bother me here. When I've taken the time to look closely I see that they are usually actually being quite careful.

I have seen lots of trip reports from non local dive sites on this board. Chris doesn't delete them, he encourages them. He has asked you time and time again to please put up a report.

You are welcome to choose your gas, but belittling others who don't do things exactly like you do isn't right. It is easy to sit on the side lines and act like you are a scuba god in judgement of everyone else. It is much harder to put yourself out there on the line and put up some trip reports.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to