diver.net

I'm saying that WE could do "better"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Divebum Don on August 28, 2006 at 21:26:18:

In Reply to: Re: I'm not saying that they couldn't do "better" posted by Max Bottomtime on August 28, 2006 at 18:47:21:

I've been collecting data (glorified fish counting) at Catalina for the last 6 years, Elaine also is a trained CCD diver. During some of the protocols used for "Key Species Monitoring", we (CCD divers) are required to remain 'stationary' over a square meter "quadrat" to observe, identify, and record specific species, location, and abundance, HOWEVER....in the surge of backside sites like Cactus Bay, or Little Harbor, Hanks Rock, or Church Rock, or the currents @ Eagle Reef, an over weighted FIRM fin pivot (if not a WEDGY) in the adjacent "habitat" is accepted, though discouraged from the first training session. Where DO we draw the line?? I remember "live boats" @ Farnsworth in the past, Yee Haw!!!! The "Mooring Project" was a past effort by the Conservancy Divers, BUT a TOUGH nut to crack.

"Dive With a Purpose"

Don Robarge
CCD, KSM site leader @ "Eagle Reef",
Previous Director of Research Diver Training, and Board of Directors Member, Santa Catalina Island Conservancy

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to