diver.net

MLPA - next region

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on August 30, 2006 at 19:11:06:

We had a thread below about the next region where the MLPA initiative wil be implemented with some saying they heard it was going to be SoCal. Here's what I just now got back from the MLPA staff:

"While the draft the Master Plan for MPAs recommends the south coast (from Point Conception to the CA/MX border, inclusive of Catalina, etc.) as the next study region, on August 15 the commission deferred any decision on the plan and, hence, the next study region. I'm not sure when the commission will take up the plan again (Paul Reilly perhaps can shed some light on that question). I believe this subject is also being discussed within the administration."

Sounds like it's still up in the air. And as I posted previously, one of the issues dealing with SoCal is whether it's considered one big region or a number of sub-regions.

Anyhow, bottom line is that it looks like there's no decision at this point. However, I would assume this may come up as a topic of discussion on the September 6 Blue Ribbon Task Force meeting in Burbank. If you'd like to be heard, plan to show up. (You can also view it on the Internet as it will be Webcast.)

- Ken
----------------
Ken Kurtis
Member, Statewide Interests Group - MLPA
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: