diver.net

Missing Ring Returned From The 'Bottom Of The Sea'

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by on August 31, 2006 at 14:36:17:

The ultimate story of lost and found involves a high school graduation ring and encompasses Wyoming, Colorado, Chicago and Hawaii.

It started in 1988 when R.C. Bundy lost his graduation ring while scuba diving in Hawaii.

"My parents took me out for kind of a family trip, a graduation trip," Bundy said.

He said he has vivid memories of the Pacific Ocean, the beach, the sunsets and the brand new ring he lost 65-feet down in the water.

Bundy, a graduate from a Wyoming high school, currently works in a downtown Denver skyscraper.

He thought his ring was long gone until a recent phone call. Something amazing happened while a college student from Chicago was scuba diving in Hawaii with her family.

"My sister and I were back to the boat and I just happened to look down and see it," said Lindsey Holt. "I just saw the perfect circle of it, I knew it wasn't supposed to be there so I just picked it up and I saw it was a ring."

Holt picked up the ring and read the inscription inside that read "R.C. Bundy Gillette, Wyoming 1988."

Holt and her father contacted the local newspaper in Gillette and somehow tracked down a phone number in Denver for Bundy.

"I said R.C. Bundy and he goes 'yeah' and I said 'you ever dive in Hawaii,'" said Rob Holt, Lindsey's father. "I said 'we found your class ring.'"

Bundy was shocked to hear his ring had been found.

"I thought there was no way, it was just an impossibility to find a class ring on the bottom of the ocean after two decades," Bundy said.

His mom was mad at him 18 years ago for losing his graduation ring, but now he can tell her he simply misplaced it for nearly two decades.

Holt happens to go to the University of Denver and will return the ring in person when she returns to class next week.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to