diver.net

Dove Point Dume this Morning

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Kokot on September 13, 2006 at 18:28:59:

Went on a dive around Point Dume today around noon. Before I went into the surf, the Lifeguard on duty (roaming in the pickup) asked me what my plan was. I said, not to drown myself. Then I told him I wanted to round the point to Zuma Cove, check it out, and swim back. He told me to watch the current, and told me if I had a problem I could ditch at either Pirates Cove or Zuma Cove. He told me he would watch the area until I came back.

So I dove into the surf and swam out 50 yards and dropped down. Then I swam for the submerged rocks near the rock-climbing wall. It took me longer than I anticipated to find the rocks. Then I saw another interesting rock, so I went over to it. Then I inspected another half a dozen rocks. Then, I noticed the rocks starting to get bigger and bigger, and I figured I was lost. So I surfaced with about 750 lbs left, and saw immediately that I was about halfway around the point, about opposite to the buoy.

I saw some paddlers go by. I felt like asking them if I could hitch a ride, but they were too far away. So I simply swam for Pirate's cove and walked back across the rocks. I enjoyed the juvenile Garibaldis, halibut, rays and bass in 15 foot visibility. I don't consider that I want to dive that solo again however, as it has some dangerous aspects.

Lee

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.