diver.net

Trip Report and Photos - Oil Rig Eureka on the Sea Bass August 26, 2006

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on September 14, 2006 at 22:29:31:

Trip Report and Photos

Sea Divers Trip to the Oil Rig Eureka on the Sea Bass

August 26, 2006

The Sea Divers were blessed with a fantastic trip to the Oil Rig Eureka this year. Excellent weather and visibility made this dive day quite special. We had the opportunity to dive both the Eureka and the Elly/Ellen platform complex's, but we voted to spend all three dives on the Eureka.

I spent very little time at the deeper Oil Rig depths. I wanted to photograph Sea Lions and Schools of Fish. I've had my best luck with both of these groups at 60 feet and above. Conditions were calmer and a little clearer past 80 feet but I toughed it out shallow surge and current zone.

The Sea Lions did not disappoint.

Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Sea Lion, Zalophus californianus, Photo by Elaine JobinSouthern California Oil Platform Eureka, Sea Lion, Zalophus californianus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Sea Lion, Zalophus californianus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Sea Lion, Zalophus californianus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Sea Lion, Zalophus californianus, Photo by Elaine Jobin

The schools of fish came and went. At times nearly obscuring the view of the rig structure. Safety stops were a joy. Looking outside the rig structure there was an endless impressive fish ballet. Just a little too far away to capture with a wide angle lens. Never the less, an amazing sight to just sit and watch.

Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Photo by Elaine Jobin Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Photo by Elaine Jobin Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Photo by Elaine Jobin Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Photo by Elaine Jobin

At times during the dives, the fish schools would move entirely outside of the structure leaving the amazing vistas the rigs themselves provide.

Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Photo by Elaine Jobin Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Photo by Elaine Jobin

It was a wonderful day. Sending thanks to the Sea Bass Crew for such a terrific trip.

Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Photo by Elaine Jobin Southern California Oil Platform Eureka, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Until next time.......

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.