diver.net

What do lobsters tell their compatriots on being released? A contest…

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy S on September 29, 2006 at 17:46:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Wanted: Alive! posted by Jim on September 29, 2006 at 10:45:10:

Dear Jim:

Read carefully what was written on the post and poster.

We are not suggesting people target these big bugs and bring them up just for a photo op - they are not running of political office. In fact, as I said, I’d love to have a good photo of one underwater showing how big it is.

On the other hand, it is more than naïve of you if you don’t recognize than many sport lobster divers and hoop netters will go after these very large lobsters (Sure you caught one “THAT BIG”). Thus we’d rather see them in pictures and returned afterward than eaten. Given the hardiness and nervous system of lobsters, I am amused at your use of the term “torture” in this context although I have not gotten official opinion from PETA. A bit different in my book than fighting a marlin for hours till it is near death and then releasing it. Indeed, “Swami Pat Smith” has often wondered aloud as to what released lobsters say to their compatriots on returning.

Returning Lobster: “REALLY, I was abducted by aliens. These big multicolored horrible looking monsters took me up into sky. They took me into their space ship, and flashed lights at me, played with me and then put me back in the ocean.”

Other lobsters:
“Right!” (Bill Cosby lobster reincarnation)
“Pull the other antennae.”
“You need to lay off eating that rotting seaweed.”
“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated” (Marc Twain lobster reincarnation)
FILL IN YOUR OWN LINE(S), THIS COULD BE FUN. IN FACT, I’LL SEND TO BE NAMED GIFT TO THE PERSON WHO IS JUDGED TO HAVE THE BEST REPLY.

Who knows, after such mental trauma (dare I use the work torture), maybe returned lobster would need the mental health intervention you mentioned.

Finally, bringing my late mother into this is not appropriate. She was not a religious person. While fortunate to just attend high school in the 1920s, she could spell sacrilegious correctly and knew the correct meaning of the word. On the other hand, as boat partners will attest, not only do I play with my food, but I also usually I spill it all over myself and end up wearing it.

Andy S.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.