diver.net

Re: Re: Jetfins are not a substitute for ankleweights.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Timotheus on October 10, 2006 at 14:23:17:

In Reply to: Re: Jetfins are not a substitute for ankleweights. posted by Art on October 08, 2006 at 15:14:31:

The other key is a good fitting drysuit. I got a custom DUI and went in without gaiters and ankle weights and had no trouble staying trim. Sometimes the feet felt a little too buoyant, but it was controlable and way better than the old "garbage bag" drysuit that I had before. I have soft booties attached to my drysuit and use a size 13 3 mil hard sole neoprene bootie over that - this keeps air in my feet to a minimum. I sanded the edges of the booties down to fit in my XL Jet Fins. A neat trick I found to add just a bit of negativity to my feet is to make my own half pound weights out of some bird shot, the toe sections of a pair of socks, and some duct tape. I duct taped these small weights under the arch of a size 12 full-foot length orthotic (purchased from heelspurs.com) and then stick the orthotic inside the soft feet of my drysuit. The orthotic also transfers some of the load encountered when kicking the Jet Fin all the way to the back of my heel.

IMHO there's no reason at all to use ankle weights with a wetsuit.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to