diver.net

Re: Writing a paper about Women in Diving

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dahlia on October 29, 2006 at 10:49:06:

In Reply to: Writing a paper about Women in Diving posted by Divinotter on October 28, 2006 at 13:52:00:

Hi Divinotter,

To make a short cut... "Is the hardest part getting gear that fits, training with new gear - ie lifting tanks, or just finding dive buddies? I'm trying to figure out what to include in my paper- any help with information or ideas of resouces would be most appreciated."
Actually none of the above.
I have been diving since 1993, became an Instructor in 1998 and have totaled right around 2500 dives give or take a few. This is a lot of diving and right around 200 dives a year and is much more than most men I know.
I think that the issues I have had to deal with and I can't say it happened all too often, was the acceptance of a woman of an equal dive ability, not to mention an Instructor, by a few of the male species.
I think as the sport continues to evolve, this type of scenarios become less frequent and noticeable.
I also would not credit this type of issues to all men, only to a few insecure individuals who inevitably come from the old school.
Today, while women still only account for less than 20 percent of divers, they are making their marks in the industry.
Any help I can supply, my e mail is at the top of this post.

Happy Bubbles

Dahlia
Los Angeles Travel
and Scuba Center
818-715-9158

www.upperclassscuba.com

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: