diver.net

Trip Report and Photos - Diving with Ross O. Oct. 22, 2006 - Marineland & Hawthornes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on November 02, 2006 at 14:51:45:

Trip Report and Photos

Diving with Ross O.

October 22, 2006

Marineland Platform and Hawthorne's

Once again, the Orion III set the stage for more "Diving with Ross O." undersea adventures. This time with Ross O. Merry, Phil, and myself.

Photo by Elaine JobinRoss Overstreet on the Orion, Photo by Elaine Jobin Merry and Phil, Photo by Elaine Jobin

The plan was to visit Marineland to see if some recently acquired "numbers" were those to an old platform that had "disappeared" over a year ago. Phil wanted to mark the present location of the platform so that he could return to it running a line from shore. On arrival a quick run over the 80 foot deep site indicated that it probably was the huge missing object. Hum, it was about 900 feet from where it used to be.

As can be customary with a boat, before we could dive we had to fix the Orion's newest glitch - the anchor rope that was hanging up in the winch (gee, I hope that I spelled that right).. Nothing had gone wrong on the Orion for at least three weeks so it was time for some boat related issue to start screaming for attention..

Phil Garner working on the Orion Winch, Photo by Elaine Jobin Ross Overstreet on the Orion, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Winch fixed. It was time to get in the water.

Marry Passage dives from the Orion, Photo by Elaine Jobin Phil Garner, Photo by Elaine Jobin

The platform is a large structure that has evidently taken a beating when it mysteriously moved to its new location. It has the usual collection of colorful invertebrate life, lots of small nudibranchs, and a small fish population. It is a great site for macro. The Marineland area is famous for it's silty bottom - combine that with flying fish net etc. and wide angle was challenging.

Ross Overstreet at the Marineland Platform, Photo by Elaine JobinThe Marineland Platform, Photo by Elaine Jobin Ross Overstreet and a Sculpin at the Marineland Platform, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Phil and Merry started their search for nudibranchs and other small critters.

Phil and Merry at the Marineland Platform, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Ross got busy removing a large entangled fishing net.

Fishing Net on the Marineland Platform, Photo by Elaine JobinRoss cuts loose the fishing net on the Marineland Platform, Photo by Elaine JobinRoss with a rope at the Marineland Platform, Photo by Elaine Jobin Tying off the Surface Marker, Photo by Elaine Jobin

A line with a surface marker was attached to the platform and our tasks were done. In the first photo of me above - the surface marker can be seen off to the left. Next we headed off for Hawthorne's reef to look for more nudibranchs and other small stuff.

Phil Garner and Elaine Jobin

Visibility was good at Hawthrone's and I was a little sad that I wasn't shooting wide angle. I did find a good assortment of macro subjects though.

Brown Cup Coral, Paracyanthus stearnsi, Photo by Elaine Jobin Diaulula sandiegensis, San Diego Dorid, Photo by Elaine Jobin Zoanthid Anemone, Parasoanthus Lucificum, Photo by Elaine Jobin Coonstriped shrimp, Pandalus hypsinotus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Flabelina iodinea, Spanish Shawl, Photo by Elaine Jobin Acanthodoris lutea, Yellow Dorid, Photo by Elaine Jobin

The trip home was like trying to cross a sail boat freeway. There were tons of sail boats headed toward Catalina.

Sailboat, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Somewhere, stranded in the middle of this marine highway, Ross spotted a loose inflatable. Obviously "one that got away", Ross rounded it up and we secured it to the back of the Orion. Oh boy! A new toy for the Orion!

The wayward inflatable, Photo by Elaine Jobin Bringing in the wayward inflatable, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Being basically honest souls, Ross radioed the Coast Guard with the information that would be necessary to track down the rightful owner. We were a little amazed with the communication difficulties that we had with the Coast Guard. Ross said and spelled his name at least three times for the lady and she kept coming back with convoluted misunderstandings - "You said your name was Rob Oberodor?" It wasn't until Ross went into the Roger Donkey Zebra X-Ray type of radio speak that she finally got it right. By that time, even the radio speak was a little difficult - we were laughing too hard.

Ross calls the Coast Guear, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Eventually a large sail boat pulled up along side and claimed the inflatable. (Rats)

Sailboat, Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

So ended another fun and Adventurefull day with Ross O. on the Orion. Thanks so much Ross. Through all the work, problems, head trips, and unusual situations life throws my way it is things like get away days on the Orion that help me keep it all together - well mostly together. Diving friends are the BEST!.

Until next time............

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.