diver.net

Re: Dive Report, Lineman For The County

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Wilson on November 05, 2006 at 11:39:27:

In Reply to: Dive Report, Lineman For The County posted by Max Bottomtime on November 04, 2006 at 13:23:57:

As a new diver, I appreciate you stringing line to make the Marineland Pier easier to find. Obviously, though, the line is going to be a continual problem with breaks, etc. I realize that it would be a much more elaborate undertaking, but would it be more "permanent" to install a series of bottom markers?

Would 6" square section concrete posts 5 or six feet long be possible? They could be reinforced with rebar and made quite simply in a wooden form. The exterior could be painted with red and white epoxy paint to stand out. I realize they would be heavy, and would take significant effort to install, but they could be placed every 200’ along the path, at first. Subsequent "project dives" could be made to "densify" the posts so that, in the end, they would be located every 50’. (Incidentally, I’ve often wondered about setting markers out from the steps at the Avalon Dive Park to make finding the steps easier at the end of dives.)

Has anyone every tried an underwater "trail" like this?

Your photos and reports make this spot out to be a very intriguing dive. Due to scheduling, work, etc., I won’t be able to try this spot out until into December or January. I sure would like to get more info on parking, access, conditions, difficulty, etc., though.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to