diver.net

100 Meter Viz - Yearly ReCert Report - 2nd try

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on November 13, 2006 at 22:07:31:

Well, it was time again for the yearly re-certification for some of the CMAR (Coastal Maritime Archaeology Resources) crew. To maintain our ability to dive from Park Service and NOAA vessels and carry out our various U/W archaeology projects and submerged cultural resource work, a re-certification / training session is required. Since I had completed mine earlier this year, I decided to tag along to observe the fun for a change or assist if needed, as opposed to being a participant. The usual routine calls for meeting at park headquarters in Ventura, loading all the gear and participants into a government van and carpooling over to the SeaBee base in Port Hueneme to use their pool. Since the pool opens at Noon, we have early access, and can get most of the testing done before we have to share the pool with the Navy.

This time, however, was a bit different. On my arrival at Headquarters, I was met by the NPS dive officer, and several of the CMAR crew, stripped of my cell phone, wallet and keys, and flung fairly unceremoniously off the dock into the cool, green water of Ventura Harbor. After extracting myself from the briny, and as I drip-dried at the dive locker, I was told that the christening, baptizing, immersion of a new captain was required to ensure a long, safe career at sea.
Hummm…. Does anybody know if Captain Kim has been in yet? I’d be happy to show her the ropes, since I am now an expert at this.

After loading up the van (and putting a towel down on my seat) we made the short drive to Hueneme, checked in through base security and parked next to the base’s magnificent pool facility. It is absolutely a spectacular facility; I know it is 25-meters wide, and I believe it is 100-meters in length and immaculately kept and maintained.

[img]http://www.forumsigs.com/users/subarch/CMARRECERT11_10_0604_sm.jpg[/img]
100-meter viz under the pool cover.

The gear was quickly unloaded and Carl & Carol – the recertees changed into their swim gear for their timed 2,700-foot swim.

100-meter visibility under the pool cover…

After completing the endurance part of the test, there’s brush up on rescue.

Then it’s time for gear handling exercises

Brush up on buddy breathing…

Buddy-breathing – is fun!

Doff & don under the watchful eye of Dive Officer Stoltz.

And the dreaded bailout…

Carol making it look easy.

Hooray! Another year’s recert is done.

And it’s time for fish tacos…
Stay wet.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black