diver.net

Re: A weight belt to die for

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fernando Maldonado on November 25, 2006 at 19:28:00:

In Reply to: A weight belt to die for posted by Chris on November 19, 2006 at 13:48:12:

I feel very badly for the family of Daniel Goodrich. I as everyone else wish this tradegy had never happened. Too many young people are lost at the wrong time in their lives, leaving voids that never get filled.

However, I would like to ask a question. What is a buddy for? In this case as in most other diving tragedies, the two divers apparently buddied up to make a stupid decision together. We all have irrational thoughts now and then. Thinking of recovering a weight belt when low on air would fit that category. But to have it affirmed by your dive buddy is ludicrous. I'm inclined to believe that one person alone would not make this stupid decision. I'm not accusing the other diver of negligence, but I have to wonder what direction the mind thought could have gone.

Buddies are supposed to help and assist if necesary, not join in some mad scheme.

I wasn't there, I realize that. But as we all look back at this tragedy, who in their right mind would have condoned, suggested or approved of going back down for a weight belt with virtually no air?

Maybe this should be in a new thread, maybe not. So often, we hear of a death like this, we all raise our eyebrows and two or three days later move on. Don't previous tragic endings ever sink in?

Fernando Maldonado

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.