diver.net

What my family Christmas was like (by the way)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on December 17, 2006 at 21:29:10:

In Reply to: It was everything that you wonder about and more posted by Elaine on December 17, 2006 at 20:11:32:

My brother and sister in law show up at the international terminal fresh from 30 hours of flying back from a two month dive trip from Indonesia. I shove all of their dive/photo gear in the back of my truck and it barely fits.

I take them to the Radison and get them checked in and get all of that dive gear out of my truck.

OK, my seldom seen relatives are in LA for a day and what do they want to do? Eat lunch at Marina Del Ray. (Huh????). I never go down there and it has been years since they last lived in LA. We drove around Marina Del Ray for an hour and a half until they could remember where the place they wanted to eat at was. We get to the eatery and they don't want to have lunch there because they are having a buffet (too much food). In the mean time, while we are driving around lost - Sea Diver Carol Beck who lives in Bakersfield zooms by on a bicycle - Huh????

In the mean time, I remember that Patrick Smith has a brick of E64 that he has been asking me if I wanted and I know that he lives in the neighborhood. I call Patrick and we arrange to meet later in the day.

My "family" finally decides on an alternative place to eat. A place with nice Italian cuisine. Everything is great until my sister in law decides she wants pizza and they don't have any. She pacifies herself with an alternative which she loves until she finds a big black hair in her food.....

We go back to the hotel and I watch hours of underwater images on Apple computer screens. My brother is proudly showing off his videos - stuff like octopi breathing, eel teeth, and a huge manta ray zooming between his legs. Then my sister in law displays hundreds of well focused, well lit, well composed DIGITAL photos of all kinds of colorful nudibranchs, fish, and soft coral.

Next, Patrick Smith knocks on the door. He has a the brick of Ektachrome64 Tungsten in his hand. (OK, tungsten - I'll have to figure out how to work with it). He is all excited. He has his digital camera in his hand. Just this morning he saw a bunch of slime eels - normally deep water critters - and he has the photos to prove it. So, we look at Patricks (excuse me - Captain Pat's) photos of slime eels.

OK, so now you know how my "family Christmas" that wasn't even on Christmas day went. And you are wondering where my trip reports are?????

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to