diver.net

Re: Rough Sea Diving

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on December 24, 2006 at 11:40:33:

In Reply to: Rough Sea Diving posted by Jesse on December 23, 2006 at 18:27:40:

On one trip to the Cortes Bank a few years ago, there was so much life in the water that i decided to do a night dive. As you know, freediving at night can be a tough go. After a while in the water, the swells picked up and every time i came to the surface for a breath, i would have to wait for the swells to synch up in order to see the anchor light on the Good Skiff. Being alone on the bank at night in those seas was a little disconcerting....But the dive was spectacular!

You have gotten some real good advice here. Every trip has its own unique circumstances, and therefore should be judged according the current and anticipated conditions. As a skipper, you develop rituals and routines that keep you safe. One of the biggest indicators of impending trouble is when you deviate from your normal routines. A good skipper will recognize when this is happening and capture the moment--be particularly careful. Another major contributor to mishap is when people plan weeks ahead for a trip, then go despite bad weather. Don't ever be afraid to abort the trip if you are uncomfortable with the conditions... There is always another day...I stay ready to go any time and just don't go when the weather is bad----usually :)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to