[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on December 24, 2006 at 21:24:08:

Trip Report and Photos

The Sea Divers at Talcott and Santa Rosa Island

December 2 -3, 2006

On the Peace

Photo by Elaine Jobin

Oh Boy, another Sea Diver Trip!

Story and Photos © Elaine Jobin, may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission.

The December Sea Diver trip is one of my favorites. There is always something special about December diving in Southern California, and, there is often a lot to see on land too..

This year's trip started with a lot of activity at the dock. There was a traveling carnival at the entrance to the boat ramp. (Do you think this horse knew I was eyeing him as a possible dive sherpa?)

Christmas at Venturea Harbor, Photo by Elaine Jobin Christmas at Venturea Harbor, Photo by Elaine Jobin Christmas at Venturea Harbor, Photo by Elaine Jobin Christmas at Venturea Harbor, Photo by Elaine Jobin

After dark, there was a boat parade that we watched from the bow of the Peace.

Ventura Harbor Boat Parade, Photo by Elaine Jobin Ventura Harbor Boat Parade, Photo by Elaine Jobin Ventura Harbor Boat Parade, Photo by Elaine Jobin Ventura Harbor Boat Parade, Photo by Elaine Jobin Ventura Harbor Boat Parade, Photo by Elaine Jobin Ventura Harbor Boat Parade, Photo by Elaine Jobin Ventura Harbor Boat Parade, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Followed by fireworks overhead.

Christmas Fireworks at Ventura Harbor, Photo by Elaine Jobin Christmas Fireworks at Ventura Harbor, Photo by Elaine Jobin Christmas Fireworks at Ventura Harbor, Photo by Elaine Jobin

These annual Ventura Harbor traditions helped the Sea Divers to get into the spirit of the holidays.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Our scheduled destination was San Miguel Island, but, the ocean was a little rough, so, in the morning we noticed that we were at Talcott Shoals instead.

Kelpforest at Talcott Shoals, Photo by Elaine Jobin Vermilion Rockfish, Sebastes miniatus at Talcott Shoals, Photo by Elaine Jobin Vermilion Rockfish, Sebastes miniatus at Talcott Shoals, Photo by Elaine Jobin Brown Rockfish, Sebastes auriculatus at Talcott Shoals, Photo by Elaine Jobin Copper Rockfish, Sebastes caurinus at Talcott Shoals, Photo by Elaine Jobin Kelp Rockfish, Sebastes atrovirens, and a Kelp Bass, Paralabrax clathratus at Talcott Shoals, Photo by Elaine Jobin

I had already gotten myself my Christmas present - a new BC. I was sentimentally attached to my old tattered and torn Zeagle, so I was a little overdue for a new BC. This time I decided on a Dive Rite. After the first few dives, I knew that, for me, I had made a good choice. (It fits snugly, is easily reconfigured to my personal preferences, and is more streamlined than my old BC). Mine has the Venture Wing on the Transpac. I also noticed that Dahlia, an instructor at Upper Class Scuba, who was in the tank spot next to mine, also had a brand new Dive Rite BC. She chose a large wing for her Transpac. However, nothing beats the paint job on Roger Carlson's older Dive Rite Travel Wing equipped Transpac - he decorated his for photography camouflage.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

On our December trip, we always pull out hats and goof off a little. This year we went for the pirate look.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine JobinPhoto by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine JobinPhoto by Elaine Jobin

We had fun and everything was pretty normal until someone pulled out that special compass from the Pirates of the Caribbean"Dead Man's Chest" movie. You know, the compass that always points to the object of your desire. While I got some readings that I found very confusing, Captain Steve and Captain Kevin had no trouble at all understanding theirs. "Hey, when I hold it it keeps pointing at me" and "Hey, when I hold it, it points at me too". "We like ourselves - just goes to show, we were cut out to be Boat Captains."

We spent both days of our trip at Santa Rosa Island, with a stop on the way home at Santa Cruz Island. These are some of my marco and close up shots from the trip. I'm not entirely sure on the ID's of several rockfish, and I'm not sure what #063 is.

White Spotted Rose Anemone, Urticina lofotensis, Photo by Elaine Jobin Phidiana hiltoni, Hilton's awolid, Photo by Elaine Jobin Orange Cup Coral, Balanophyllia elegans, Photo by Elaine Jobin Unkonwn, Photo by Elaine Jobin Anemone, Photo by Elaine Jobin Sponge, Photo by Elaine Jobin White spotted Porostome, Doriopsilla albopunctata, Photo by Elaine Jobin San Diego Dorid, Diaulula sandiegensis, Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Chiton, Photo by Elaine Jobin Giant Spined Star, Pisaster giganteus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Painted Greenling, Oxylebius pictus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Tunicate covered with Sea Fern Hydroid, Abietinaria sp., Photo by Elaine Jobin Blue-Ring Top Snail, Calliostoma annulatum, Photo by Elaine Jobin Orange Hydroid, Garveia annulata, Photo by Elaine Jobin Crevice Kelpfish, Photo by Elaine Jobin Kelp Rockfish, Photo by Elaine Jobin Rockfish, Photo by Elaine Jobin California Hydrocoral, Stylaster californicus, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Chris Grossman and Jerry Wilson brought in the biggest lobsters. Chris put his lobster back. I think Jerry ate his.

It was a great trip.

Merry Christmas to everyone from the Sea Divers!

Until next time......

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.