Buddy(ies): Angelique
Time: 9:22 pm.
Bottom Time: 56 min
Max Depth: 90 fsw
Vis: 10-15 feet
Wave height: 2-3 feet
Temp at depth: 56F
Surface Temp: 60F

Comments: I have finally found my personal Great White Whale (more about that later……)

What a difference a few days make. On Friday morning both Jimmy and I were staring out at the wind blasted sea contemplating going out………NOT!

So, with the Friday dive called off, my only other hope was Sunday night. The conditions looked like they would be a lot better and luckily; I was able to get Angelique to come along. The swell was looking good only 2-3 feet and the wind was almost dead calm.

We kicked out to the end of the pier and dropped down into decent visibility. The plan was to go to around 100 feet and then work our way back up the canyon taking our time to find Squid and other creatures.

As we went along we came across a few groupings of eggs both large and small. The squid were out but not as much as I thought there would be. It was great to interact with the squid. They almost have no fear and seem a bit territorial sometimes. Another thing that I thought was interesting was the HUGE number of Target Shrimp out tonight. I have never seen so many at one time. We also came across a few Octo’s too.

When we started to get into shallow water (20-25 feet) I noticed that we had more time so I told Angelique that we should head back down to 30-40 feet. This was one of the best suggestions I have ever had. For the last few months I have been on the hunt for the elusive Baby GSB’s in the area. My last photo attempt was shot to hell because my camera shutter button was sticking. As we turned back to the canyon and went about 20 yards all of a sudden I found my Great White Whale!!! There he was just sitting there waiting for me….lol. When you look at the pictures it’s interesting to see how transparent his tail fin is.

Below are some highlights from the dive:

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.