diver.net

Belated Trip Report and Photos: Christmas Eve on the Orion with Ross O.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on January 12, 2007 at 11:46:20:

Trip Report and Photos: Diving with Ross O.

Hawthorne's and Somewhere between Cardiac Hill and OML

December 24, 2006

Story and Photos © Elaine Jobin, may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission.

Ross O's. boat, the Orion, was a perfect place to spend the day before Christmas. Ross & Beth, and Phil & Merry are part of my amphibian family. We had a wonderful, peaceful day.

We went to Hawthorne's for our first dive. I saw something here I"ve never seen before. Ross swam by with a lobster on a leash. He had forgotten his game bag and didn't want to go to his Christmas dinner empty handed.

Hawthornes, reef,Photo by Elaine Jobin Ross O., Photo by Elaine Jobin Ross O.,Photo by Elaine Jobin Ross O.,Photo by Elaine Jobin

Soon one lobster on a leash turned into two and his Christmas dinner was secure.

Ross O. Photo by Elaine Jobin

My next surprise from Ross came when he slipped through an incredibly small hole in the reef.

Hawthorne's Reef, Photo by Elaine Jobin

I looked through the hole and saw that there was a large opening on the other side. I decided to swim over the reef instead of through it. In route, Ross's bubbles were oozing through other smaller reef holes - creating silty geysers in the water column. I was so busy watching the geysers I almost missed the Giant Black Sea Bass that was sitting in front of the large opening on the other side. I caught a glimpse of him, but not a decent picture.
Hawthornes ReefPhoto by Elaine Jobin
Next, we watched some painted greenlings mate. Then we found a large old anchor. and Ross posed for some photos.

Ross O. posing next to an old anchor, Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

Back on the boat, we motored around trying to pick our next site. There was a lot of variability in visibility. We finally settled on an area that had some large waves breaking near by but offered clearer water. This site was between Cardiac Hill and Old Marineland. Ross was soaked from a leak in his drysuit and sat out this dive with Merry. It was Phil and I in the water.

Photo by Elaine Jobin

This reef had lots of slots, overhangs, and narrow swim thru's. When the sun is at the "right" angle in the sky, it is probably a very beautiful dive site.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

On our way back to the dock, we went past Bill's Bait. This floating concession was over run with sea lions. Some of the structure looked damaged.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

It was a good opportunity to get some silly looking sea lion photos. I also noticed that Sea Lions must "shed" or something when they grow new coats. Some of the Sea Lions in the group photo above looked like they had half a hair cut.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

There was also a dead Brown Pelican and a dead Sea Lion pup on the structure. Sad sights for Christmas Eve.

Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin

The good news is that Phil got his towel back for Christmas (along with a vintage Marineland Plate).

Photo by Elaine Jobin

Merry Christmas to all. It looks like this is the last trip report of 2006.

Until next time.........

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.