diver.net

Re: Re: Jesus joins the Statue Garden

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on January 15, 2007 at 15:20:03:

In Reply to: Re: Jesus joins the Statue Garden posted by Jon on January 15, 2007 at 09:11:42:

Jeff and I discussed this at length for months before beginning work on this project. We didn't want to have something like the Redondo Monument, which has become a dump site with a sink, traffic cones, sunglasses, etc. We had planned to build a small artificial reef far enough off the beach in the sand where it would be difficult to find, but I felt Ted's Pinnacle, being at the southern deep end of the main reef would be a good comprimise. Most divers who go to Marineland don't go out to the pinnacles. The Lady of the Garden statue has already begun the conversion to an artificial reef with a fresh coat of new algae. I plan to take a series of photos to document the rate of growth.
I don't expect our little statue garden to become a tourist attraction. (They're only two feet tall).
I agree with Jon and Chris about putting trash into the ocean, but we're not talking about tires or plastic bottles here. Although the Marineland Artificial Reef Project pales in comparison to Ships To Reefs and the San Diego Oceans Campaign I think anything that attracts more life to an area is a good thing.
The following links were the brainchild of this project.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to