diver.net

Re: LA dive shops not filling tanks made of 6531 Aluminum alloy. Questions

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave P on January 23, 2007 at 21:23:53:

In Reply to: LA dive shops not filling tanks made of 6531 Aluminum alloy. Questions posted by Andy S on January 19, 2007 at 12:20:03:

I happened to stop by a dive shop a few weeks ago to order some rebuild kits for regs that I am not authorised to buy... and the shop owner was saying that it will be illegal to fill any aluminum tanks prior to 1990... he heard this straight from his hydrotester. I went back to the shop grabbed the number for PSI and talk to Bill Maine. BS! There is a rule that the 6531 (I must be tired, I thought it was 6351...) cylinders have to be eddy tested at time of hydro, annual vis are just like every other vis...

Dive shops make almost no money on alumium tanks, perhaps Sports Chalet gets some killer pricing but good luck at getting a sales associate who even knows what a regulator is... actually I have heard a few customers asking if we offer the same $60 off of a new alumium tank if they trade in their old luxfor. I called luxfor and they knew nothing about it, they have heard that sports chalet was offering that to some customers, but according to Luxfor, they were not giving any kind of incentives to any dive shop including SC...

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to