diver.net

OLD China found on the Olympic today - Additional Identification Resources?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on January 28, 2007 at 18:28:08:

Today, Ross O. and I made our first dive stop at the Wreck of the Olympic. Our plan, if vis was good, was to make a large sightseeing circle over and around the entire wreck. Visibility was a terrific 40+ feet, so our plan was a go. About half way into our circle I noticed Ross creating a large dirt pile in the water column - he was digging. Next, he was waving a dinner plate in his hand. I didn't think too much of it. Everybody knows that there is nothing left to be found on the Olympic. I figured the plate had been tossed overboard from a fishing boat or something.

Back on the Orion, Ross cleaned up his find. I was teasing him about being the only person I knew who could turn a dive day into housework. (Gee Ross, maybe you can find some more things in the ocean to "wash").

China frond on the Wreck of the Olympic, Photo by Elaine Jobin

This is the plate that Ross found.

china found on the wreck of the Olympic, Photo by Elaine JobinChina found on the Wreck of the Olympic, Photo by Elaine Jobin

This is the manufacturers mark on the plate

China found on the Wreck of the Olympic, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Calls to Steve Lawson and Patrick Smith turned up no immediate information about the galleyware used on the Olympic. Back at home, I did a google search on Warwick China and this is an interesting link that I found.

Article about Warwick China

"Warwick China Co. was incorporated on Sept. 3, 1887. The factory was located on Water Street, between 21st and 22nd streets. The company was noted for the Ioga line and specialized in brown glazed pieces with portraits of Indians, monks and fraternal emblems. The firm also made other types of table wares and vases until it finally closed its doors October 1951.

Information taken from a souvenir booklet called "History of Wheeling," issued in 1906, stated that Warwick China Co. manufactured semi-porcelain dinner and toilet ware and novelties. The first president was J. R. McCourtney, who served until June 1889, when he was succeeded by O. C. Dewey. In 1906, the annual business of the company had increased about 100 percent and the company had a national reputation as makers of the celebrated line of specialities in Ioga ware. The company motto was "Quality First," and no expense was spared to give customers the best and newest items that skill and experience could produce."

The age of this plate might indicate that it was in the galley on the Olympic. Does anyone have more information of China from the Olympic?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to