Trip Report and Photos: Santa Rosa Island 01-20-07 Sea Sons on the Peace

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on February 09, 2007 at 19:02:22:

Trip Report and Photos
Santa Rosa Island with the
Sea Sons on the Peace

January 20 - 21, 2007

Story and Photos Elaine Jobin, may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission.

On a warm and sunny weekend in January, I went on the Sea Sons trip to Talcott Schoal. Due to some rough ocean conditions, we didn't make any dives at Talcott. Instead, we were dropped off at some Santa Rosa dive sites that had beautiful conditions.
Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin
The Sea Sons, founded in 1955, are one of the oldest, and perhaps the oldest, dive club in Southern California. That makes this dive club older than the "Sea Hunt" (1958) television series episodes that were playing in the galley.
Screen Shot of Sea Hunt, Photo by Elaine Jobin Shot of TV screen showing Sea Hunt, PHoto by Elaine Jobin
At times, the reflections on the screen almost made it feel like ghosts from the past were swimming through the galley.
Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin
What photos of this dive club looked like in 1955 I can only imagine.
Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin
However, this is what they look like in 2007.
Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin
Primarily a club oriented toward hunting, dive sites were chosen accordingly.
Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin
It was an opportunity to dive in some areas where I normally don't "hunt" with a camera. Some dive sites were shallow and surgy. These are a few of my macro photos. I used this trip to test some 100 speed films. One of the ones I was trying was Kodak E100G - an extremely fine grain slide film. I don't know, I think the G in E100G stands for Green - I noticed a definite green tint.
Spanish Shawl, Flabellina iodinea, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine JobinHilton's aeolid, Phidiana hiltoni, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine JobinHilton's aeolid, Phidiana hiltoni, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Sheep Crab, Loxorhynchus grandis, Photo by Elaine Jobin Cone Snail, Photo by Elaine Jobin White Sea Pen, Stylatula elongata, Photo by Elaine Jobin
One of the interesting and unusual things that I saw were critters jumping around on the ocean floor that looked like, and acted like, sand fleas. They were identified from the photo as amphipods, Chromopleustes lineatus, by Leslie Harris from the LA Natural History Museum.
amphipods, Chromopleustes lineatus, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin
Topside, we were continually enjoying great Peace dive boat food. It was tough on my diet..
Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine JobinPhoto by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin
I missed the night dive, which was rumored to be very pretty. On the evening dive, I was amused by large kelp balls rolling around the ocean floor and an octopus.
Kelp Ball at Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Two_Spot Octopus, Octopus bimaculatus, Photo by Elaine Jobin Two_Spot Octopus, Octopus bimaculatus, Photo by Elaine Jobin
On day two, I found a swell shark in a lobster trap and couldn't quite figure how to get him out. One of the problems that I see with lobster traps is that other animals can get caught in them. I tried what looked like simple solutions to let him out, but none of them worked.
Swell Shark, Cephaloscyllium ventriosum, Photo by Elaine Jobin
There were lots of fish.
Kelp Bass, Paralabrax clathratus, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Striped Seaperch, Embiotoca lateralis, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Pile Perch, Rhacochilus vacca, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Black Perch, Embiotoca jacksoni, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Black Perch, Embiotoca jacksoni, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine JobinKelpfish, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Kelpfish, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Blackeye Goby, coryphopterus nicholsi, Photo by Elaine Jobin
Some schools of camera shy tube snout
Tube-snout, Aulorhynchus flavidus, Santa Rosa Island,
And, some sand dollar beds.
Sand Dollar, Dendraster excentricus, Santa Rosa Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin
It was another terrific weekend on the Peace with the Sea Sons. Thanks again to the Captains and the crew.
Photo by Elaine JobinPhoto by Elaine Jobin Photo by Elaine Jobin
Until next time.....
Photo by Elaine Jobin

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the