diver.net

dive report - Catalina on the SunDiver, March 4th

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by scottfiji on March 05, 2007 at 13:08:20:

Today was the day we hit the Janolus Jackpot. Kevin Lee, Mike Bartick and I joined a dive club from fresno on the sundiver. The first dive we were looking for Hypselodoris californiensis. We can up empty handed, but we did find an abalone and a swell shark egg. Dive was at SeaFan Grotto, I didn't think there was much at this dive site.

The next two dives were near eagle reef, but at the shore. (two different parts of the area). This is where we hit the Janolus barbarensis jackpot, we saw at least 10 of them (first time for Kevin and I!). Also saw an unknown nudie, a mantis shrimp, two orangethroat pikeblennies (one swimming in the open!), a horn shark, comb jelly, stingray, many rare, interesting invertebrates, an octo in the open, two small sculpins, and a small unidentified fish. When we came on board Kevin and I were hooting and hollering. Everyone thought we saw a halibut, lol. we told them we saw the Janolus. (some of the other divers were hunting halibut, but no one saw a halibut today). These dives rocked!

On the way home we saw many dolphins and two whales (not gray, maybe finback). the whales came very close to the boat.

the crew of the sundiver was great, Captain Kyaa did a wonderful job DMing, frisbee was great on deck. Captains Ray and Ken were a pleasure to be around, they had lots of great stories to tell.

dive #1: 88ft, 54 deg, 65min
dive #2: 65ft, 55 deg, 70min
dive #3: 64ft, 55 deg, 50min
vis was not great on the dives, variable (20-35ft)

Complete gallery of photos (on two pages), including some more topside photos. click on photos to enlarge.

http://www.scubapost.net/forums/cabezon/Cat2007/?g2_page=2

Comb jelly, probably a Leucothea pulchra

Island kelpfish. I like how you can see the dorsal fins in this shot.

Janolus barbarensis nudibranch

Janolus

Octo in the kelp

Orangethroat Pikeblenny, in the open

Whale, maybe a Finback

Dive buddies

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: