diver.net

OML 120 Reef 3/9

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on March 09, 2007 at 19:57:48:

Date: 3/9/07
Dive Location: OML 120 Reef
Buddy(ies): Angelique
Time: 9:37 pm.
Bottom Time: 1:08 min
Max Depth: 38 fsw
Vis: 5-8 feet Max (Pea Soup)
Wave height: 1-3 feet
Temp at depth: 52F
Surface Temp: 58F

I met up with Angelique at OML morning. It was cloudy and overcast and the swell was directly hitting the point. You could see the waves moving from right to left rolling along across the coast to Cobble Beach. The point entry was looking pretty dicey with the waves breaking on the two large rocks. The cove looked smooth and glassy so we decided to head out to 120 reef.

Entry at Cobble beach again was a piece of cake. We kicked out and dropped down past the rock point. The visibility was in the pea soup range today. It was 5 to 8 feet max. As we maid out way out to the reef, I noticed a few Sea Pansies that I really wanted to shoot. However, Angelique for some odd reason decided to run right by them making the 3 foot visibility even crappier (DOH). Not to self, bring a sign that says back off on next dive…..lol. As we moved along from reef structure to reef structure, we were hunting for the regular critters that call the reef home. Today there were a ton of Sea Cucumbers out and a decent amount of fish were out today too; unlike last week.

As we made our way around the reef and back to the shallows, we decided to explore the kelp forest for a while. This time, we were not attacked by huggy the over friendly Harbor Seal who last week was trying to make sexy time with my fins.

The kelp forest is growing nicely. It’s a blast to make your way through the kelp but with the poor vis, it made it more of a challenge. Following a 240 heading back to the rock point, we came across an area where there were a large amount of Spanish Shawls hanging out. The surge made it quite difficult to shoot but I think I ended up with a few OK shots. In the end we both came back with 1000 psi after an hour with our Steel 80’s. I guess we should have stayed longer.

Below are some of the highlights. If I get anything wrong, please feel free to correct me:

Bryozoan

Fragile TubeWorm

Sea Cucumber

Sea Cucumber

Painted Greenling

Star (close up)

Diaulula Nobilis

Spanish Shawl With Eggs

Hang On!!

Spanish Shawl

Follow Ups:

Name: