diver.net

OML Long Point 3/16

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on March 16, 2007 at 14:12:27:

Date: 3/16/07
Dive Location: OML Long Point
Buddy(ies): Angelique and Jimmy
Time: 9:47 am.
Bottom Time: 55 min
Max Depth: 65 fsw
Vis: 8-10 feet 15 in some places
Wave height: 2-3 feet
Temp at depth: 52F
Surface Temp: 57F

I met up with Angelique and Jimmy at OML this morning. It was cloudy and overcast AGAIN!!. However, as we started to walk down the trail, the sun started to break through the clouds and clear the mist away.

This time, the waves hitting the point were looking do-able so we went for an easy (Ha Ha) entry at the point. We all timed it perfectly with no issues. I have to say that when the waves were 2-3 this place is no walk in the park. To get caught inside and dragged across the rocks can ruin ones day.

We gathered at the point about 30 yards out and dropped down into so so visibility.
At least it was better then last week at the 120 reef. We headed out at 180 and started looking for what ever critters we could find.

I can not tell you enough how this place is one of the, if not the best places to shore dive in SoCal. The rock structures are way cool and the diversity is awesome. Here, there were tons of fish out where last week at the 120 reef, there were barley any.

We were lucky this week, there were lots of Nudis out and we had a fun time searching through all of the rock structures. When we made it to around 65 feet, we decided to make the turn and start heading back to Cobble Beach.

Here are some highlights from the dive.

Sculpin

Lacy Bryozone

Painted Greenling

Octo

Noble Dorid (Orange)

Noble Dorid (Yellow)

Mimic Dorid
[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/LLKZ16/OML%20Long%20Point%2031607/MimicDorid31607.jpg[/IMG]

Hudsons Dorid

Limbaughs Cadlina

Super Micro Cockerells Dorid

Spanish Shaw

Catching A Ride

Sponges

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL: