diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bird Rock, Sunday March 11

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry on March 23, 2007 at 20:43:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bird Rock, Sunday March 11 posted by Jesse on March 14, 2007 at 09:20:18:

Smart man (I assume! :) ) Jesse! All good advice. A few other thoughts are:

1. Always carry spares for your boat. A little wire kit with some wire, connectors,fuses etc. A small well thought out tool kit. Outboard spares would be things like extra oil, spark plugs, prop and a wrench to change it. Inboard or outdrive would be oil, belts, spark plugs. 2 spare fuel filters. If you don't have a good water separating fuel filter get one. Racor is pretty much the standard.

2. Since your "new" to boating take the Coast Guard aux course.

3. Have a good compass onboard with a list of common courses that you frequent.

4. Always check the weather before leaving. Although the NOAA forcasts are sometimes off I can tell you the San Pedro channel is no place to be when it gets nasty, and it can get NASTY.

5. Don't be dumb and try to cross the channel in questionable conditions. Much better to be stuck at the island for an extra day than take a chance.

6. Call for a radio check on channel 9 when departing. Not uncommon not to get a response. If not response on channel 9 then hail VA on 16. They will have you switch to another channel and you can do it that way. You do have Vessel Assist right??

7. Carry plenty of fuel for the trip and have a good idea what your rig uses. The rule of thirds is 1/3 to get there, 1/3 to get back and 1/3 in reserve.

The trip to Cat is no sweat if you use your head. Done it many times in a 14' alone. Those who know Brad are likely impressed by his adventures as I. Doesn't mean I would do those things myself though.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to