diver.net

Camera Restrictions in Mexico?

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on April 08, 2007 at 17:51:13:

I'm also in Mexico. I had a very unpleasant experience entering the country and I wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

At the airport the Mexican Customs person(?) gave me immense grief today. He said that I could not bring more than 2 cameras into the country. He went through every bag I had until he found all 7 that I told him I had. He said that I had to report all of the cameras to the Mexican consulate before I came to Mexico (I'm not even here for any period of time - I'm just passing through with an overnighter). He said that I was traveling with too much stuff for a single female. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Needless to say it pissed me off. I felt like I was being harrassed for traveling as a single female - in this day and age.

I've heard that it might be a good idea to register stuff with US Customs before leaving the country - but I've never done it.

Of course I have 7 cameras and a ton of stuff (Alaska Airlines didn't hastle me at all)- this is a scuba trip. What part of dive trip don't they understand in Mexico?

It was such a miserable experience I'm counting the seconds until I can get out of this country. If I had 20 dive knives I could understand some grief - but CAMERA?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to