diver.net

Avalon wreck today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank O on April 29, 2007 at 16:51:25:

In Reply to: Olympic II Today posted by Max Bottomtime on April 29, 2007 at 16:13:23:

That's fairly close to conditions we found on the Avalon wreck this morning -- dirty 15 ft was the consensus, though I thought it could have been up to 20 in spots. Since it was my first dive in nearly two months, I decided to leave the camera on the boat to reduce multitasking. So of course this would be the dive we ran across the largest mola mola either Jon or I had ever seen, in the neighborhood of six feet. It drifted by above us when we were wrapping things up on the wreck, then circled us just a few feet away during our stops. We must have been as strange a sight to it as vice-versa.

I sat out dive #2 due to being cold and a (for me extremely rare) bit of maritime queasiness, but those who dived said Buchanan's had slightly less vis but was still colorful.

On a sad note, there was some traffic on the marine radio between law enforcement agencies about something in the Oceanside area, in which body recoveries were mentioned. Did you or anyone else get more of what this was about?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to