diver.net

OML Long Point 5/10

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on May 10, 2007 at 16:04:38:

Date: 5/10/07
Dive Location: OML Long Point
Buddy(ies): Angelique and Jimmy The “I forgot my weight pockets so I have to dive with DOUBLES” Bagman
Time: 9:52 am.
Bottom Time: 57 Min
Max Depth: 60 fsw
Vis: 20 feet!!
Wave height: 2-3 feet
Temp at depth: 50F
Surface Temp: 65F

After seeing Scott and Penny yesterday I was totally excited to hit the point today. The only issue was the super low tide and the fact that the swell is still a little dicey. I met up with Angelique and Jimmy this morning for another Thursday morning dive. The fog was rolling in like crazy and it was a little chilly too. Before Angelique arrived Jimmy and I mapped out the entry. Since the tide was super low, we tried a new spot to get in that seemed to be the best choice.

As we were gearing up, Jimmy realized that he forgot his primary mask and weight pockets for his BC. Luckily, he had his secondary mask and twin Al 80’s with about 1700 psi left in them. His rig is already weighted so no issues there. However, point entries with doubles is only reserved for super studly (or crazy) divers…lol. As you can see by my pictures below, his entry and exit was FLAWLESS!!

When we all got in, we finned out to the point and dropped down to SUPER visibility. I could not believe how great it was!! We took our compass heading and started to make our way out. As we made our way out to the end of the reef, we stopped by many rock structures looking for nudis and other critters. When we decided to do the turn and started to work our way back to Cobble Beach, I was buzzed by a Sea Lion. Since we were all at a huge rock with me on the one side and them on the other, they never ended up seeing the critter. Oh Well!

Overall, it was a GREAT dive. It was a bit cold but with the great visibility, I did not care.

Below are some highlights from the dive:

BTW, if I have any ID’s that are incorrect, feel free to let me know.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/LLKZ16/OML%20Long%20Point%2051007/

Great Visibility

Club Tipped Anemone

Spanish Shawl

Colorful Cup Coral

Baby Hermissenda??

Limbaugs Cadlina

Three Lined Aeolid

Chestnut Cowry Laying Eggs

White Spotted Dorid
]

Cuthona Divea