diver.net

Re: SCUBA '07 Rumblings

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rumornator on June 03, 2007 at 21:02:00:

In Reply to: SCUBA '07 posted by FARMHAND on June 03, 2007 at 19:55:32:

It was an okay show. I talked a lot to the people today representing the far away dive destinations and live aboard boats. Some nice deals are available but nothing too earth shaking. Twice I heard a rumor from companies offering trips to Cozumel that Donald Trump is planning to develop a huge hotel and golf resort on the northwest side of the island. He's been in talks with the Quintana Roo Gov for more than 3 months and hopes to have the El Presidente's approval by this August. The current dive operators and resort hotels on the island are very quietly fighting tooth and nail to prevent the development. The locals want the new resort for the huge money it will bring to the locals, plus the Mexican government wants a larger tax base to draw from. One of the travel companies said that Trump is expected to add 12 to 16 more boats to the already high pressure reef diving fleet. Opponents say the resort will massively swell the land tourist population by offering over 3800 rooms. Man I tell you, gone are the days if this goes through.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to