diver.net

Re: Re: SCUBA '07 Rumblings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tleemay on June 06, 2007 at 02:14:21:

In Reply to: Re: SCUBA '07 Rumblings posted by Rumornator on June 03, 2007 at 21:02:00:

Not so much a rumor.

My contact on Cozumel reports the following:

"All week long we have been hearing that the Donald is going to buy a chunk of land and put up a 4000 room hotel with a golf course or two on the north east side of the island (good luck draining that swamp.) Helicopters were out surveying things yesterday. If true, it is going to radically change the island so enjoy the reefs while you can."

"Sadly, I am beginning to suspect that we will not be seeing (as many reef fish as usual) in Cozumel for a lot longer. Between the cruise ship companies and the rampant hotel building it is going to become Cancun south. I have seen fishing boats in the park while the park patrol sits on their boat and watches. I have seen the ever increasing size of the cattle boats and seen them going ever further south to walk about on the reef. The road on the east side is being widened and developed and soon there will be electricity over there.
Something the gummint pledged would never happen. Money talks and you know the rest. I suspect we may have as little as 10 years to enjoy the island.
The good news is the property values are thru the roof. Just have to choose the right time to bail out."

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to