diver.net

CONTINENTAL/PALAU - LOOKS LIKE A GOOD ENDING

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on June 17, 2007 at 12:23:12:

Since we last spoke . . .

I've received two e-mails from Larry Kellner, Continental's CEO, not only apologizing for what's happened but promising some resolution from his people in Honolulu and Guam. I also got two phone calls last night from Continental's GM here in Honolulu, who has now gotten us cleared for the non-stop to Guam (and then on to Palau) and has invited us to be Continental's guests in the President's Club while we await departure from Honolulu.

So, at least for us, it seems to be the best possible outcome. It looks like we'll arrive in Palau on Monday night which will still have cost us a day of diving but it won't have cost us two days of diving, which was looking like a possibility as recently as yesterday afternoon.

I also want to give kudos to many of the people at Continental. There have certainly been problems but, once we found the right people (from local supervisors to regional GMs to the CEO), we were able to get things in motion.

The lesson I'd like to pass on to anyone else who might be faced with something similar is that whatever I've been able to achieve here has been done without any screaming, shouting, threats, or histrionics (which may come as a surprise to those of you who know me well). I've always tried to simply present the situation, ask about options, and ask what people can do to help us. I've always believed - and experienced this on the receiving end as a retailer - that being belligerent doesn't get you anywhere. It may not be the fault of the people you're directly dealing with and, usually, when reasonable people are presented with reasonable attitudes, a reasonable solution can be found. Realizing early on that getting the people who can help you angry at you probably isn't a good plan will go a long way to not only keeping your blood pressure down, but also will help you get the desired result.

So we leave for the Honolulu airport in an hour and leave for Guam four hours after that. Hopefully the next stories we'll have to tell are of fabulous dives in Palau. Thanks for those of you who have sent e-mails of good thoughts and support. I'm sure that, down the road, we'll look back on this and just go "Wow."

- Ken (bound for Guam & Palau)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.