diver.net

Has it occured to you that Sport Chalet is free to respond?

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on June 28, 2007 at 08:14:00:

In Reply to: Can somebody explain the mechanics of what SC has done? posted by A Diver on June 28, 2007 at 02:36:14:

If Sport Chalet really thinks we are making things up they are free to offer their point of view, but at this point the silence is deafening, and the facts are pretty much against them.

Did not just 1 week ago Sport Chalet have a series of boats scheduled on several of the local boats?

As of today, based upon demands made by Chris Robinson of Sport Chalet, are those boats cancelled?

Most of us have no problem believing that as a result of Sport Chalet's poor last quarter financial performance that the pressure is on to improve the profit margins. Please see www.divematrix.com as Ken Kopp posted SC's response to their last 10k. Obviously, based upon that response, if Sport Chalet thinks the issue is important they comment publicly, given that they are choosing to keep silent on this issue, I'll continue to side with the local boat owners.

I called Sport Chalet for comment and they said that they can't comment, so in the absence of their input I have greater faith in the local skippers then I do in some corporate gorilla that is dilutting it's earnings per share.

As to your point about PADI/Sport Chaelt increasing the number of divers I say, who cares?? In my view it just means that they have passed more unqualified divers then most any other shop in town. We don't need more divers, we need better trained divers. Gimmicks like 2 for 1, remote learning, planting your students on their knees, etc. etc. etc. don't help the sport, it continues to water it down. The limited value that Sport Chalet puts into the eductaion side of the equation is symptomatic of why they are in a free fall. They simply don't get it, and hiring someone who came from the PADI way of thinking proves the point.

Later

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.