diver.net

Re: from a long tiome Laguna diver...this law is needs to be stricken completely

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scot on June 28, 2007 at 12:41:54:

In Reply to: from a long tiome Laguna diver...this law is needs to be stricken completely posted by kevin on June 28, 2007 at 12:11:26:

Kevin, the ordinance authorizes city officials to order people to discontinue hazardous skin or scuba diving and requires the public to comply(18.21.030). Refusal to comply with a discontinuance order, not the activity itself, is a misdemeanor. That's not unreasonable (although I recognize that ordinance hasn't always been implemented as written).

Even if the entire ordinance should be removed (which I don't think it should), that action would be beyond the authority of the Marine Safety Department. What they have done is to revise and clarify the conditions for which they will issue discontinuance orders in the future.

I applaud the Laguna Marine Safety Department for adapting their policies to changes in the sport of diving, and I thank the members of the dive community who worked with the city to make this happen.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to