diver.net

Dive Report---Vets 7307

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on July 04, 2007 at 13:22:48:

Date: 7/3/07
Dive Location: Vets
Buddy(ies): Angelique
Time: 9:25 pm.
Bottom Time: 58 Min
Max Depth: 82 fsw
Vis: 10-15 ft
Wave height: 2-3 feet
Temp at depth: 56F
Surface Temp: 68F

It was a beautiful night at Vets last night! The waves were small and the surface was pretty calm. When I checked the conditions at 4:30 there was more wind chop so it was good to see that the conditions improved over a few hours.

We decided to start at the middle stairs. We kicked out to the end of the pier and after a quick computer adjustment for Angelique we dropped down and started to make our way out to the canyon. After we moved a few feet, we saw a weird ugly fish (I have a bad picture below) it looked like a cross between a Sculpin and a Swell Shark. If anyone can ID it below, let me know.

The visibility was pretty good. However the surge in the shallows did not help when trying to photograph nudis. I was extremely glad to find a San Diego Dorid and a Aeolidia Papillosa. Thanks for the ID help on the Papillosa Scott. As usual, there were a bunch of Octo’s and Hermessendas out tonight.

Another way cool thing happened while I was taking a picture of a Thornback. I was trying to get close to this guy when all of a sudden something big and hard crashed into me. I looked to my right and saw Angelique there so I turned around to find the biggest lobster I have ever seen. This guy also had no fear of me. I got close and he only moved away slowly. I tried to get a picture but he took off before I could change my settings. Oh Well.

After we got out we found Scott, Penny and Dana taking their gear off and packing up. Luckily, it was a mini celebration time for Dana’s birthday so we has yummy chocolate and lemon bunt cake along with fresh mango that Penny brought. We talked for a while and found out that Scott found a Lion Nudibranch aka a Melibe leonine. Great find Dude!

Below are some highlights from the dive:

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.